View special opportunities to give back during the 2013 Holiday season.
Check back frequently, as we are continuously adding opportunities to serve.
We are not aware of any done-in-a-day opportunities that happen ON Christmas Eve or Day. Many of our nonprofit partners are closed on that day or could really use your help instead in the new year. Why not use January 1 as the kickoff for new community service "resolutions"? Read more below on how to get started.
Deepen your Impact
Search all of our volunteer opportunities to find longer-term or skills-based opportunities with our hundreds of partners. You can narrow your search by interest, zipcode, population served and more! In the search results, look for opportunities with the time listed as "Open" to find opportunities that could use your help for more than a single shift.
Alternative Ways to Volunteer:Download our list to find ways you can help outside of visiting a nonprofit. Many of our partners are overwhelmed with requests from volunteers this time of year and may not have need at their locations.
Organize it Yourself:
- generationOn: Be a Joy Maker Project Planning
- Do Something: How to Run a Collection Drive
- Do Something: Donate phones for Domestic Violence
- Check out HandsOn's Pinterest page for ideas you could make, do, or offer to a nonprofit.
- 5 Easy Ways to teach your kids compassion this season
- Volunteering with Kids: Holiday Edition
- Donate to HandsOn's High 5 to Drive Campaign to help us buy a truck to store and more easily transport our project supplies for our volunteer projects.
- Find something a nonprofit needs on the ConnectVA Item Exchange and donate it.
- Shop using Amazon Smile and choose Partnership for Nonprofit Excellence (our nonprofit umbrella org) as your recipient charity. When you login and shop, at no cost to you, Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization.
Read more about what Is and Isn't possible for those who want to help this time of year.
- Do's and Don'ts of Holiday Giving and Volunteering
- Regulating the Public Feeding of Homeless and Why
- The Problem with Stop and Droppers
- Voluntourism: What Could Go Wrong When Trying to Do Right? (this is about trips abroad, but applies just as well locally)
HandsOn does not manage, nor have they vetted the following opportunities, but you may be interested in contacting them directly.
- The Giving Heart Community Thanksgiving Feast
- RVA Feed the City
- Dominion Christmas Parade
- Salvation Army Angel Tree and Christmas Mother
- Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell Run/Walk
- Donate to FeedMore
- The 6th Annual Feed Richmond
- Richmond Toys for Tots
- Richmond Friends of the Homeless