VolunteersView special opportunities to give back during the 2015 Holiday season.
Check back frequently, as we are continuously adding opportunities to serve.
Finding volunteering opportunities on or around Thanksgiving or Christmas is much harder than most people imagine. Why is it so hard?
- So many people want to volunteer during the holidays that organizations that involve volunteers during these days fill their volunteer openings quickly, often months in advance.
- Many economically or socially-disadvantaged people find family to be with during the holidays. That means that many nonprofits don't serve people on Thanksgiving or Christmas.
- It can be very challenging for a nonprofit organization to develop a one-time, just-show-up and volunteer activity and balance the result with the required expenses of time and supplies.
- Staff at nonprofits often suspend training of new volunteers at this time. Staff who’ve been helping great causes year round also want a holiday to spend with family.
- Richmond doesn’t really have soup kitchens. Many feeding programs are done by churches, which often mobilize their membership to volunteer.
- BUT I WANT TO HELP! Excellent--read more below and at left about all the other suggestions we have to mobilize your time and talent this season.
Deepen your Impact
Search ALL of our volunteer opportunities to find longer-term or skills-based opportunities with our hundreds of partners. You can narrow your search by interest, zipcode, population served and more! In the search results, look for opportunities with the time listed as "Open" to find opportunities that could use your help for more than a single shift.
Alternative Ways to Volunteer
Download our list to find ways you can help outside of visiting a nonprofit. Many of our partners are overwhelmed with requests from volunteers this time of year and may not have need at their locations.
Organize it Yourself
- Create the Good: 10 Ways to Help this Turkey Day
- generationOn: Be a Joy Maker
- Do Something: How to Run a Collection Drive
- Do Something: Explore all their Campaigns
- Check out HandsOn's Pinterest page for ideas you could make, do, or offer to a nonprofit.
- 5 Easy Ways to teach your kids compassion this season
- Volunteering with Kids: Holiday Edition
HandsOn does not manage, nor have they vetted the following opportunities, but you may be interested in contacting them directly.
- The Giving Heart Community Thanksgiving (FULL)
- Dominion Christmas Parade
- Arthritis Foundation Jingle Bell Run/Walk
- FeedMore Virtual Food Drive
- Richmond Toys for Tots
- Richmond Christmas Mother
- Salvation Army Feeding Programs
- Puritan Cleaners Coats for Kids