YMCA Miracle League Volunteer
Every day, children, teens, senior citizens and families come to the YMCA to learn, grow and thrive. But we need people like YOU to help us make their experience even better and create lasting impact on our community. The Miracle League at the YMCA of Greater Richmond provides children with diverse physical abilities and special needs the chance to play sports and participate in learning opportunities in a safe, fun atmosphere. On a completely accessible field, players take turns hitting the ball, fielding and throwing, just like the real game. Each participant is paired with a volunteer buddy that helps as needed through the game.
Ages 13 and up | Any qualified individual or group can give participants with a mental or physical disability the gift of baseball by volunteering as a Buddy. Our Buddy system pairs each player with a volunteer helper. Buddy training is provided on-site before your shift begins. Working one-on-one with our players will warm your heart and give you a new perspective on life.
Goals for our Buddies include:
- Assist the player according to his/her needs.
- Protect the player at all times from being hurt.
- Allow the player as much freedom as possible to play.
- Have fun!
- Volunteers must be at least 13 years old.
- Volunteers must first attend a training session, held on-site 15 minutes before each shift.
- Attire: comfortable clothing/ exercise clothes
- Parking: LC Byrd Sports Complex (located behind the high school to the right)
- Other volunteer opportunities: If every player has a buddy we may get your help with announcing, picture taking, playing the music "DJ" or being a cheerleader in the stands!
To learn more watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7koiRwH8W0
Age Minimum (with Adult): 13+, Minimum Age:13+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: