Spread Cheer with Hats, Gloves & Greetings for Low-Income Families & Seniors
When you are volunteering, please follow these tips for healthy volunteering. HandsOn Greater Richmond emphasizes the importance of following CDC guidance.
Better Housing Coalition (BHC) is the largest nonprofit affordable housing provider in the Richmond region, housing over 2,500 residents of modest means. We are prepping for winter festivities, and while our normal holiday bash in the Community Center isn’t occurring due to COVID restrictions, we won’t let the season go uncelebrated! We are looking for volunteers – groups or individuals – to donate NEW hats and gloves to distribute to our families and seniors. Plus! Send holiday greeting cards/drawings/letters with encouraging notes to bring some additional brightness and warmth to residents this season. The holidays are a time of joy, but for families and seniors living on a tight budget, the season can also bring additional stress. For residents of our Northside communities, the average annual household income is just under $25K, so your contribuitions mean a great deal to our residents.
Who should participate: Groups and individuals looking for a remote activity and/or a way to support brighten the holiday season for neighbors in your community.
How it works: Volunteers express interest in this volunteer opportunity through Hands On Greater Richmond. Then, volunteers can choose to donate supplies only, cards only, or a combination of the two.
- Hats & Gloves: We have a goal of collecting hats and gloves for 50 youth 80 adults. Items should be NEW, and gender-neutral items are preferred. Would you like to host a drive at your office, place of worship, scout meeting, etc.? Express interest and we can send you printable signage and templates to help spread the word.
- Holiday Cards: Volunteers will create or buy a holiday card and inscribe with an encouraging note or drawing. Volunteers should understand that this is a one-way communication and that residents will not write back, but volunteers can be assured that residents’ days will be brighter as a result of this long distance gesture of care.
For both cards and supplies, the final date to drop off donations is Tuesday, December 7th. Donations can be dropped off at Better Housing Coalition’s HQ at 23 W Broad St. by making an appointment with volunteer coordinator or during the following collection days:
- Friday, December 3rd 9AM-5PM
- Tuesday, December 7th 9AM-5PM
Ready to help out? Just follow these steps.
- Express interest in this volunteer activity
- Procure your donations: hats and gloves and/or holiday greetings
- Schedule a drop off of your donations with BHC’s volunteer coordinator (last day to drop off is 12/7/21)
- Feel great that you provided some warmth to others this holiday season!
Please contact Sarah Fernald, Director of Community Engagement, with questions.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 1+, Minimum Age:18+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity:
Connect With us On Social