DIY - Snack kits for student athletes
Brief Organizational Description:
Start 1 Spark supports low income middle school students in joining school extracurriculars so they can enjoy their school community with their classmates. By connecting with community members who have the ability and desire to assist students, together, we cover the cost of personal sports equipment, instrument rental, club fee, or art supplies, so more students can participate in school activities. When our students thrive, so do our communities!
Currently, Start 1 Spark partners with HCPS’s John Rolfe Middle School and CCPS’s Falling Creek Middle School. Each school has roughly 70% of their student population qualifying for free or reduced price meals. Most student athletes do not have access to a healthy snack after school to energize them in the competition. Through the Fuel for Fun program, student athletes receive a nutritious snack to support their physical development and keep their mental focus on the game and having FUN!
In a quart or gallon size ziplock bag, please place one of each item:
- Fruit cup with a fork or applesauce pouch
- Protein item like KIND, CLIF, Luna bars, peanut butter crackers, nut mixes, etc. - please do a mix of nut and nut free items
- Snack size chip, pretzel, or popcorn
Include an uplifting and encouraging message in each kit. Topics to focus on include teamwork, trying your best, and don’t give up. Sports this spring season include baseball, softball, track, tennis, and girls soccer.
When thinking about what to write, consider:
- Were the friendships you made in middle and high school because of classroom connections or through extracurricular activities?
- Does your favorite memory of middle or high school link to an extracurricular activity?
- What skills did you learn by participating in a school extracurricular activity?
Deliver completed kits to Start 1 Spark's location at 10431 Patterson Ave., Henrico 23238 (note: this is the BalanceRVA building). We recognize 1 hour of volunteer service for 10 completed kits. Completed kits can be dropped off on:
Thursday, March 30th from 11am-2pm
Friday, April 14th from 1pm-4pm
Discover more about Start 1 Spark at our website: https://www.start1spark.org/.
Share your Fuel for Fun experience on social media and tag us on Facebook (@start1spark).
Questions?? Reach out to Amber any time at Amber@start1spark.org.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 1+, Minimum Age:14+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity:
Connect With us On Social