Age Minimum (with Adult): 1+, Minimum Age:13+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
Featured DIY- Seed Bombs
DIY Volunteering allows families and groups of all ages and sizes to participate in community service from the comfort of their own homes. Read more about our DIY initiative here.
Organizational Beneficiary: James River Park System
The James River Park System (JRPS), a unique part of Richmond’s Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Facilities, includes over 550 acres of shoreline and islands in the capital of Virginia, extending in 14 sections from the Huguenot Bridge in the west to a half mile beyond the I-95 Bridge in the east. It includes most of the fall line of the James River. Rocks, rapids, meadows, and forests make for an area of unspoiled natural beauty -- a little bit of wilderness in the heart of the city. JRPS needs volunteers to help make the park system as beautiful as it can by creating “seed bombs”. Seed bombing is a way to distribute seeds by forming and distributing little nuggets of clay, compost and appropriately-selected seeds that can be used to help green wasteland and otherwise neglected areas flourish into beautiful spaces. This month, DIY Volunteers will be making seed bombs. Get messy!
• Crayola Air-Dry Clay (available at Walmart or craft stores)
• Virginia-native wildflower seeds (a list will be provided)
*DIY Volunteers are responsible for purchasing any of the materials needed for DIY volunteer opportunities.
1. Express Interest below in the project to HandsOn. We'll send you instructions and plan for your delivery.
2. Every person who plans to volunteer (including youth) must express interest. You can create a volunteer team to sign up your group or family members. Read about how to create and manage teams.
3. Plan the time and place to DIY.
4. Once you’ve expressed interest, complete instructions will be sent to you.We ask that you create as many seed bombs as you have the materials for. There is no maximum contribution for this project, but we will not be able to document more than 3 service hours for any DIY project.
Confirmed participants will receive 3 hours for submitting materials prior to 5pm, Monday, February 15, 2016.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: