Age Minimum (with Adult): 5+, Minimum Age:18+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
The Doorways provides lodging and support to thousands of families every year who need to be close to life-saving medical care in Richmond. With 117 rooms, we are one of the largest hospitality houses in the country and proudly operate entirely on donations. We are looking for volunteers who are willing to help us provide home cooked meals to families staying with us. Serving meals is more crucial to The Doorways and our guests now than ever before. As more families return to use our services, they are relying on your generosity to ensure they have a warm meal at the end of the night. We can't do it without you.
The safety of our guests, volunteers and staff remains our top priority. Our meal guidelines have been adapted to allow for contactless service to our guests.
Volunteers should expect:
- To prepare a meal in our kitchen using our resources
- As a volunteer, you will be asked to purchase some food items – our Opportunity Leader will coordinate this with you prior to the event
- To package the meals in to-go containers
- To make them available to our guests, but not directly serve the meal to guests
- To wear masks and gloves at all times
- To follow all social distancing guidelines while preparing and packaging the meal
In addition, we are following all CDC and VA Department of Health guidelines. These include:
- All individuals will be screened upon each entrance in accordance with The Doorways’ overall procedures
- Cleaning of common spaces multiple times per day by our trained staff who use only professional grade and CDC recommended cleaning supplies
- Signs posted throughout the house regarding proper personal hygiene, social distancing, mask wearing, and other public health information
- Signs indicating how to properly socially distance when waiting in line for meals
- A mask requirement for our staff, guests and volunteers while in the house
- Extra masks and gloves readily available for anyone who might need them
- Hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, and cleaning supplies readily available for volunteers
To find out more about The Doorways and our mission visit www.TheDoorways.org.
Please wear closed-toe shoes and clothing you can prepare and serve food in. There is limited free parking in the on-site garage. Some street parking is also available. Please allow enough time for parking and walking. See your "My Account" for more detailed parking instructions.
All volunteers who plan to attend must be registered. This includes youth. If the post indicates adults must be present, youth and adults must register using the team functionality. To learn more about our team functionality, please view our Volunteer with a Group page.
Any youth volunteers under the age of 18 must bring a parent-signed youth waiver to the project. The waiver can be found after sign up on the confirmation page or by visiting our Volunteer with Youth page.
Registration for this project will close 48 hours in advance.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: