Want to develop your leadership skills and get more people involved in building our community? Become a HandsOn Volunteer Leader. We currently are recruiting new volunteer leaders.
With the help of our Volunteer Leaders, HandsOn develops and manages a series of recurring, done-in-a day projects with our community partners to mobilize volunteers to regularly meet their needs. Volunteer Leaders are the right hand person to the community partner host. They oversee volunteer sign-ups, communication, day-of project management and follow-up.
As our strongest link to the community, Volunteer Leaders ensure that every volunteer has a positive experience and that the real needs of the nonprofits are being met. We work hard to match your interests with available opportunities, so if there's a particular organization you'd like to work with, let us know!
What is a Volunteer Leader?
Leaders are the root of successful projects! Essentially, they are the team's host for the event. They work with a project for one year and set the tone, introduce volunteers to HandsOn and the nonprofit partner, oversee the project, and ensure a successful volunteer experience.
Why become a Volunteer Leader?
- Improve your community
- Develop leadership skills
- Meet new people
- Build your resume
- Learn about community organizations in our region
- Help us expand the potential opportunities for volunteers in RVA
What is required of a Volunteer Leader?
- An interest in building a stronger community
- Attendance at a Volunteer Leader training
- Commit to the length of the project for one year (various project schedules within a year are available)
- Year round participation in a handful of social and professional development programming and activities
- Pay a one-time on-boarding fee of $30* to help offset the costs of your training, HandsOn t-shirts, and supplies
- Willingness to help orient HandsOn volunteers to the nonprofit partner and provide a wrap-up at the end of the event
- Regular communication with the nonprofit partner and HandsOn
- Give authorization for a yearly background check
What are the benefits of being a Volunteer Leader?
- Dedicated professional development opportunities at free or reduced cost (classes, conferences, speakers)
- Socials, recognition, and networking opportunities
- Ability to serve on a wide variety of projects with HandsOn
- In depth learning of a particular issue/agency
- Grow your leadership skills and potential
- Fun and colorful swag
*$30 on-boarding fee for new Volunteer Leaders helps to offset some of the costs associated with training, supplies, and t-shirts. We will not turn away any interested leaders from participating based on inability to pay this fee. When you complete your VL application for an open position you can indicate the need for a hardship waiver if applicable.
Ready to join the team?
Interested? Have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org