Volunteering in Disaster
Thank you for your interest in helping our community prepare for or recover from a disaster or weather event. The best way you can help is to be part of an organized effort that is working in coordination with local emergency response officials.
Do not go to the scene of the disaster/weather event. The arrival of unexpected volunteers will interfere with response efforts. You could unsuspectingly put yourself and others at greater risk. Volunteers will be needed most during the recovery phase. Please be patient and wait until community-based organizations are ready to receive your help.
HandsOn Greater Richmond is a member of the Virginia Capital Area Region VOAD (Voluntary Organizations Active in Time of Disaster).
- Download the Virginia Hurricane Preparedness Guide
- Worksheets to make a plan
- Prepare your school or business with Ready Rating
- Community Disaster Preparedness Manual
- Prepare for winter weather
On the Move
- Social Media can be a fast and effective communication tool: Connect with us on Twitter for immediate updates @HandsOnRVA
View HandsOn's Emergency and Disaster pin board