The first step to posting your organization’s volunteer opportunities with HandsOn Greater Richmond is to register as one of our partners. Currently, we may partner with your agency if it meets the following criteria. By applying to be a partner with us, you agree that your organization:
- Is designated by the IRS as a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit or faith-based organization; or it is a school, government agency, or community organization. (Please see our “General Posting Policy” below for more specific guidelines.)
- Is located and serves clients in Richmond, Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover, Goochland, Powhatan, Hopewell, Colonial Heights, and Petersburg (this is our designated service area)
- Has liability insurance that covers volunteers.
- Does not withhold services based on membership or religious affiliation/participation.
- Does not require religious participation or activity from volunteers.
- Is not a political campaign.
- Does not discriminate in its clients, staff, board, volunteers, or volunteer committees on the basis of a person’s race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, mental or physical disability, or any other status prohibited by applicable law.
- Membership stays active for 2 years from activation date, or the date of your last posting, whichever is more recent
- Organizations with NO activity will be deactivated after 1 year
- Referral Training is good for 2 years from the training, or from your last posting date, whichever is more recent. People with NO activity will need to be retrained after 1 year.
To ensure that HandsOn has a full opportunity to help your organization meet its volunteer needs, we have developed guidelines for posting projects on our website:
- Partner organization staff will be trained our site's volunteer mangement system and submit their volunteer postings directly through our online system ideally 4 weeks prior to the project date (if it is a date/time specific need)
- Organizations/Projects located in the following cities/counties may post Volunteer Referrals: Richmond, Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover, Goochland, Powhatan, Hopewell, Colonial Heights, and Petersburg.
- Organizations/Projects located in the following cities/counties may have HandsOn Managed (Volunteer Leader) projects: Richmond, Henrico, Chesterfield, and Hanover. We post those for you.
- Donation requests may be posted as Referral projects--if there is a service component to the project (For example, a project that asks for donated school supplies may be posted if part of the project is for volunteers to assemble and/or deliver the kits or run their own drives).
- Is not an Internship. While they may be unpaid, volunteers are not really looking for internships on our site, and that need is more career-oriented than volunteer. Visit ConnectVA to find out how to post internships and jobs with them. If it is simply a skilled volunteer need and NOT an internship, then you can post that as normal, provided it is not classified as, called, or considered an internship.
- Non-stock, not-for-profit business and community organizations that do not have 501 (c)(3) status but are working toward their status may become a partner and post Referral projects if they follow the guidelines here; however, HandsOn reserves the right to decline any volunteer opportunity that appears to promote the business instead of the community.
- Private and/or for-profit hospices, hospitals, and nursing homes may become a partner and post Referral projects if the project directly serves or benefits the clients of the organization, and the volunteer will have direct interaction with the clients of the organization (NOTE: This excludes any operational duties like administrative tasks, event staff, and capital projects, such as building maintenance or landscaping). These postings must explicitly inform the volunteer that the company requesting volunteers is a for-profit entity.