Historic Evergreen & East End Cemeteries Clean Up
Please join the Enrichmond Foundation
at Historic Evergreen & East End Cemeteries for volunteer clean-up days.
The volunteer days will take place most Saturday mornings from 9am-12pm.
Historic Evergreen Cemetery is a historic African-American cemetery, created in 1891 and located in Richmond's East End. East End Cemetery was established in 1897 next to Evergreen Cemetery. These cemeteries are the resting place for many of Richmond’s African-American leaders of the 19th and 20th centuries, including Maggie L. Walker, Hezekiah F. Jonathan, John Mitchell, Jr., Rosa D. Bower, and Rev. J. Andrew Bowler. There are an estimated 23,000 plots in Evergreen and East End, most of which have become overgrown after over 40 years of neglect. Clean-up activities have been conducted at Evergreen and East End Cemetery for several years. We are walking in the footsteps of some amazing volunteers - including family members who gave their time to hold the line for years. Thank you!
Due to the delicate nature of the headstones, the use of heavy equipment is very limited. Please be careful as you clear areas on, or around the headstones. Your volunteer time is crucial to the success of this project as we reclaim and maintain the cemetery. Volunteers must complete a Volunteer Agreement before the volunteer day, and sign in onsite in order to volunteer.
Special Instructions: Please complete the Volunteer Agreement before you volunteer.
Important Volunteer Information:
- All Volunteers must complete and sign an Enrichmond waiver liability form.
- Volunteers should dress according to the weather (more layers for colder months of the year).
- Volunteers should wear long pants, preferably jeans to protect your legs from scratches and insects.
- Volunteers must wear safety gloves. (Gloves will be provided. You are welcome to bring a personal pair for yourself.)
- A light snack and water will be provided.
- Volunteers should wear tennis shoes or boots. (No flip flops or thin shoes)
Updated Safety and COVID-19 Guidelines
- Masks are not currently required for outdoor activties, but volunteers are welcome to wear a mask. Masks will be provided.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided.
- Disposable gloves will be provided.
Location: Historic East End & Evergreen Cemetery – 50 Evergreen Rd, Richmond, VA 23223
You will see a bright green sign once you make it to the entrance of the cemetery. Please follow the bright green signs, and orange cones for directions for parking. Please keep driving speed at 5mph upon entrance to the cemetery. Thank you!
Age Minimum (with Adult): 5+, Minimum Age:16+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: